Quebec Entrepreneur Stream 1
QUEBEC ENTREPRENEUR STREAM 1
This program is aimed at entrepreneurs who have the skills and capacity to start an innovative business in the province of Québec.
To qualify, the entrepreneur must obtain a service of offer from a Québec-based business incubator or accelerator or a university entrepreneurship center who will ensure the acceleration of his innovative business idea. Once determined by the provincial government of Québec that the entrepreneur meets these conditions, the entrepreneur, his or her spouse and dependent children under the age of 22 will be granted a Québec selection certificate (CSQ). Upon receiving a CSQ, an applicant and his or her family become eligible to submit an official application for Canadian permanent residence.
In addition, it should be noted that this provincial program allows the entrepreneur to obtain a Canadian work permit so that he can develop his business project on site when processing his application for permanent residence with the federal government. The spouse can apply for an open work permit simultaneously while the dependent children have access to a study permit.
In summary, to qualify for the Québec Entrepreneur Program Stream 1, applicants must:
- Present your business project in the form of a business plan.
- Settle in Québec to create and operate a business for which you have already received a service offer from a business accelerator or incubator or a university entrepreneurship center.
- You can carry out your project alone or with others, up to a maximum of three other foreign nationals who have submitted applications for permanent selection as entrepreneurs for the same project.
- Possess the necessary funds to settle in Canada with the accompanying family members. For reference purposes, the funds required for a family of four are $ 7 878 CAD according to the regulation in effect in January 2021;
Quebec City (capital): 826,000
Aerospace, Manufacturing, Biotechnology, Information Technologies and Multimedia, Energy, Natural Resources, Agricultures
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
To qualify to the Quebec Entrepreneur Program Stream 1, the applicant must:
1. Have a business plan.
2. Get a service offer from a qualified Québec-based incubator or accelerator or a university entrepreneurship center.
3. Bring enough money to settle in Québec.
4. Intend to settle in Quebec.
5. Obtain a minimum of 41 points according to the weighting applicable.
6. Successfully pass a medical exam and criminal check.
A business incubator, a business accelerator or university entrepreneurship centre that wants to support an entrepreneur applicant and his/her project must meet the appropriate definition:
• A “business accelerator” is an organization with an establishment in Québec that offers support services, particularly for finding financing, to people whose business projects are aimed at the growth of innovative companies;
• A “university entrepreneurship centre” is an organization managed by an academic institution referred to in Section 1 of the Act Respecting Educational Institutions at the University Level (chapter E-14.1), or an organization affiliated with such an institution and that provides mentoring services to entrepreneurs;
• A “business incubator” is an organization with an establishment in Québec that offers mentoring services, including hosting, to, people whose business projects are aimed at the creation of innovative businesses.
Each organization has particular requirements when selecting would-be business project applicants and prior to the issuance of a service of offer. As example:
– The proposed business project industry sector
– The business project underlying business idea’s development stage
– Proposed business project founders’ academic and professional experiences
– Business model feasibility
The purpose of the service offer is to assess the adequacy between the business project presented by the immigration applicant and the organization’s ability to support its implementation. The resources deployed by the support organization must be sufficient and adapted to meet the needs related to carrying out the entrepreneur’s project.
Yes. Some organizations accept to support business ideas at early stage in order to issue the service offer for the business project.
Since every business plan is adapted to the foreign entrepreneur’s background and business idea, there is no a fixed amount of investment required. The applicant’s active and on-going participation in the development of the business idea in Québec and the reaching of milestones are key and will determined how much money should be invested.
As of October 2020, the applicant must obtain a minimum of 41 points according to the Regulation respecting the weighting applicable to the selection of foreign nationals, Schedule C.
The immigrant investor can reach 41 points according to different factors:
|French Proficiency||16 points|
|English Proficiency||6 points|
|Stay in Quebec||5 points|
|Family in Quebec||3 points|
|Financial self-sufficiency||1 points|
|Service offer assessment||15 points*|
|Business project assessment||15 points*|
The language test result must be provided at the initial file submission in order to have language points recognized.
The immigrant investor can apply with his spouse and dependent children under the age of 22 years old.
There is an exception for a child of 22 years and older depending substantially on the financial support of the parent since before the age of 22 and being unable to be financially self-supporting due to a physical or mental condition.
The age of the dependent child is locked-in at the date of receipt of the application by the Quebec government (OP 1, 5.24).
While the federal government will usually focus on admissibility considerations (such as security background and medical condition), it has the competence to review every program eligibility conditions until the applicant’s landing in Canada.
One of the most important conditions of the program is for the applicant to settle his business, himself and his family in the province of Quebec after the granting of the permanent residency status.
From November 1st, 2020 to September 30, 2021 the Entrepreneur Program Stream 1 can accepted 25 applications. Applicants who have taken an approved language test showing French-language proficiency at an advanced intermediate level are exempt from this intake threshold and may submit an application at any time during this period.
As early of 1986, Mr. François Mandeville, founder and managing partner of Mandeville & Associates, has been assisting business persons to migrate through the residency-by-investment programs. Mandeville & Associates has grown into becoming a leading actor of this industry with an impeccable reputation.